About Us

Essex County Historical Society is a volunteer based, non-profit, registered charity dedicated to the preservation and study of the heritage around Canada’s southernmost county. Founded in 1896, the ECHS (Essex County Historical Society) was established under the Ontario Historical Society.

Who We Are

Members include educators, archivists, genealogists, writers, business people, and people like you. Membership is open to all, and the annual fee is a bargain. It includes a newsletter, discounts on publications, voting rights at the Annual General Meeting, and support of the area’s oldest historical group.

What We Do

Meetings are held six times per season, typically in the months of September, October, November, February, March, and May. ECHS is focused on, and meets throughout, the county of Essex which is comprised of nine municipalities, namely Amherstburg, Essex, Kingsville, Lakeshore, LaSalle, Leamington, Pelee Island, Tecumseh, and Windsor. Communities and Islands within them and former municipalities include: Albertville, Albuna, Anderdon Township, Arner, Belle River, Blytheswood, Bob-Lo Island (Ile Bois Blanc), Colchester North Township, Colchester South Township, Comber, Cottam, Deerbrook, East Windsor, Edgar, Elford, Elmstead, Emeryville, Essex Center, Town of Ford City, Forest Glade, Gesto, Goldsmith, Gordon, Gosfield North Township, Gosfield South Township, Harrow, Hillman, Maidstone, Malden Township, McGregor, Mersea Township, New Canaan, North Ridge, North Woodslee, Ojibway, Oldcastle, Olinda, Oxley, Peche Island, Petite Cote, Pike Creek, Pillette Village, Point Pelee, Point aux Roches (Stoney Point), Puce, Remington Park, River Canard, Riverside, Rochester Township, Roseland, Ruscom, Ruthven, St Joachim, Town of Sandwich (Olde Sandwich Towne), Sandwich East, Sandwich South, Sandwich West townships, South Walkerville, South Windsor, South Woodslee, St Clair Beach, St Clair Siding, Staples, Stoney Point, Strangfield, Tilbury North township, Tilbury West township, Union, Verecker Walkerville, Wheatley, Windfall, Woodslee.

Essex County Historical Society publishes the ECHS Newsletter and various history titles, as deemed appropriate. Printed publications include The Windsor Border Region by Ernest Lajeunesse, Garden Gateway to Canada by Neil Morrison, The Township of Sandwich Past and Present by Frederick Neil, and Heritage along the Detroit River by Dr. Trevor Price. Other media publications have included a series of historical Radio Sketches and audio recordings. Some programs and projects are produced jointly with other organizations.

Since 1979 the ECHS has granted the Botsford Scholarship to a senior-year undergraduate history student at the University of Windsor, and since 1987 the ECHS has issued the Lajeunesse Award for distinguished achievemnet to local history.

Prior to 1983, the ECHS was called Essex County Historical Association (ECHA) which absorbed the Essex Historical Society in 1957. ECHS is a member of the Ontario Historical Society (OCS) and the South Western Ontario Heritage Council (SWOHC).

The 2016 Executive Board

PRESIDENT: Anita Colley Price, PAST PRESIDENT: Pat Brode  TREASURER: Bill Gay, MEMBERSHIP: Linda Brightmore, SECRETARY: Marlene Markham, Directors: Lucinda Morris, John Tomlinson and Malcolm Campbell

Comments are closed.